Called to Serve in the Honduras, Tegucigalpa mission. July 2013-July 2015

Called to Serve in the Honduras, Tegucigalpa mission.  July 2013-July 2015
"I love my mission! I am so grateful to be here!." ~Elder Smith

Monday, March 30, 2015

Easter Week, Samana Santa

Hola Hola! 

This week was the most Catholic week of my entire life! Jaja, but in spite of that it was pretty good. Easter week--Semana Santa--started down here, which means two things: #1) everyone goes out of town and #2) the Catholic church does a bunch of traditional things. There are big groups of people in the streets every night carrying crosses and singing and worshiping in their own unique way! Jaja, the 11th Article of Faith has never rung so true for me. 

On Wednesday we were walking down the street and this little old lady was walking the other way. We stopped her to talk to her about the church....or tried to! We didn't get two words in before she started talking about all the crazy dreams she has had where God told her that the Catholic church is the true church! In a world as confused as ours she is among the most lost of them all. But then before I knew what was happening she started doing the cross thing to me! Jaja, I was scared at first! I leaned away and wasn't going to let her do it! But she insisted... after that she turned around and walked away, leaving me stunned, and Elder Ruiz laughing his head off at the bewildered look on my face! 

Then on Friday we went to visit Xiomara and Consuelo. They both live in a part of our area that is about fifteen minutes away from our house by bus, so we always visit them on the same day. We had two great lessons, they both accepted the challenge to be baptized! Nothing is final still but it's a great first step! We were excited,to put it lightly! And then on the way out we saw Consuelo's husband, Miguel Angel. He is a great guy, but doesn't really have very much interest in the church. We invited him to church like we always do. And he proceeded to say no very politely like he always does, nothing new.

But then he said he would go to church with us if we went to Mass with him, thinking I'm sure, that we wouldn't be caught dead in a Catholic church! But we jumped on that opportunity! We told him that we would gladly go to church with him if he would come to church with us this week! He agreed but said we had to go with him first. So this morning we woke up early to go with him to mass before work! It was a very interesting experience! And best of all, HE'S GOING TO COME WITH US TO CHURCH!!! 

This week is sure to be full of more Catholic experiences! I'm very thankful to be a member of the true church of Jesus Christ. I hope you all have a great Easter week! Watch the video Gracias A Que El Vive. I don't know what it's called in English but they're great. Color some eggs and have a great Easter egg hunt for me too! 

I love you all! 

-Elder Smith

 This is a sweet soccer field in our area. These people have a true love of soccer!

There was a giant fire right by our house!

No comments:

Post a Comment